The Official Hibben Knives Forum
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:25:42 AM

:    
The OFFICIAL Hibben Knives Forum goes online March 1, 2007
2764 430 1070
: KyWindage
+  The Official Hibben Knives Forum
|-+  Hibben Knives
| |-+  Handmade and Custom Knives
| | |-+  Hollow Handle Survival Knife
« previous next »
: [1]
: Hollow Handle Survival Knife  ( 2152 )
SENGVIN
: 105

« : March 07, 2012, 11:11:06 PM »

I found this knife. Is there any story to this knife ? How many of those were made? and is it 440c or D2 ? Thanks
Nobilta
: 85

« #1 : March 13, 2012, 02:21:57 PM »

From the website of Miles Welze (the same site as where your picture came from):

Gil Hibben Hollow Handle Survival Knife
Louisville, KY Blade Stamping (1979-1991)
9-1/8" Blade ? 21 Sawteeth
Sawteeth: 15 Split & 6 Rake
Double Guard Drilled for Lanyards
4-1/2" Green Cord Wrapped Hollow Handle
Threaded Butt Cap w/ Compass
Custom Camo Covered Sheath w/ White Stone
Vintage Tan Carry Case w/ Red Fur Lining

Summary: a vintage hollow handled survival knife made by Gil Hibben. A beauty from the 1980's, the knife has a 9-1/8" blade with 21 sawteeth (15 split and 6 rake), steel guard drilled for lanyards, and green cord wrapped hollow handle with threaded butt cap and working compass. The knife appears lightly sharpened but unused, overall excellent+++ to near mint condition.

The knife is paired to a custom camo cloth covered sheath, not sure if the sheath below the camo covering is original to the knife or not. Fit is perfect, so I would assume so but don't quote me. The workmanship on the sheath covering is impeccable ? tight all the way around and near perfect. The leather keeper strap is not covered and is the only thing that shows wear ? some of the finish on the snap not perfect but that'd probably clean up to look like new. As shown, an unused white sharpening stone in the front pouch.

12 photos for review ? as shown, a vintage (actually a Lile Knives shop issue) tan carry case with red fur lining is included for knife storage. The photos tell the story with this one ? a few close up shots of both the split and rake sawteeth. This is an outrageously nice survival knife made by Gil in the 1980's ? smack dab in the middle of the hollow handle / Rambo-mania craze. Great for use, yes... but probably better tucked away for investment purposes as it is a very rare knife. Thanks and good luck.
SENGVIN

« #2 : March 14, 2012, 12:00:35 AM »

Yep I know that.
I was wondering how many of those were made ,type of steel and if the sheath is original .That is abouth it :-)
Nobilta
: 85

« #3 : March 14, 2012, 03:03:07 AM »

O, ok.
I don't know any more of this knife. But it is a beautiful knife. I like it very well.
It is the first time that I've seen this.
SENGVIN

« #4 : March 14, 2012, 09:29:21 AM »

Yes same here.
michael
: 83

« #5 : March 14, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »

sure is a sweet piece

HELLO FROM YORKSHIRE
UNITED KINGDOM
phawk
: 24

« #6 : March 18, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »

Hey Everyone

I'm new to the forum and just thought I'd drop by and say hello.

I'm also the proud owner of the knife in this thread.

Thanks for the info Linda (you truly are a wonderful person!)

What a knife!!

Paul
Linda
The Lady Behind The Curtain
Administrator
: 483

« #7 : March 19, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »

Paul,

Welcome to our Forum!  I'm so glasd that I could help you, evenif it was just a tiny bit.. 

Linda
: [1]  
« previous next »
: